Sunday, March 23, 2008

Yuzu Cha - Best Marmalade


OK kids, gather around and I'll tell you all about yuzu cha. It's a good time to tell you about it, as I had to buy another jar - so I have two brands of it to show in the picture. It's difficult to keep this from disappearing in this house.

The yuzu is a citrus fruit that you might have heard of in a sushi bar. Yuzu kosho is a peel and salt relish that sometimes tops a sushi or two. A great article that tells you all about the yuzu and it's various uses is at - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuzu#Use_in_Japanese_cuisine

I think one of the funniest things that happened to me searching out a cooking ingredient was when I walked into Bill's Lobsters in Chinatown and asked if they had yuzu kosho (well, they had panko and Memmi...). The lady said "NO! No Jewish food here!".

The Koreans make this loose marmalade out of yuzu and honey and sell it in jars - sure LOOKS like marmalade; but, actually...it's a tea. So, if you can't find it at your local T&T or Korean store - you're looking in the wrong aisle!

A spoonful in hot water is a great cold remedy, and not harmful to you like many over-the-counter drugs. But seriously, folks - it's the best marmalade around. Try it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very useful read. I would love to follow you on twitter.